- Classic Red
- Laguna Blue Metallic
- Brilliant Black
- Montego Blue Mica (M Edition only)
- A Package: (New) Torsen limited slip differential (manual transmission only),
leather-wrapped steering wheel, power mirrors, aluminum alloy wheels
and headrest speakers.
- B Package: Package A items plus cruise control, power windows and
- C Package: (All colors) B package items, plus tan interior with leather
seating surfaces and tan vinyl top.
- R Package (New Mid-year intro): Sport suspension with Bilstein
shock absorbers, rear spoiler, front air dam, rear skirt, aluminum alloy wheels
and Torsen limited-slip differential (not available with automatic
or other option packages).
- Removeable hardtop with defroster.
- Automatic Transmission with (New) lockup torque converter, and
- Anti-lock brakes (requires Package A, B or C).
- M Edition (Montego Blue Mica only):
This special Miata includes Montego Blue Mica paint, Package C items
plus polished alloy wheels, Nardi wood shift knob, wood parking-brake
grip, logo floor mats and special M Edition key fob and interior/exterior badges.
Other options include a removeable hardtop, anti-lock brakes and a 4-speed
automatic transmission. Approximately 3,000 '94 M Editions were sold
in the US.
- The following items were (New)or redesigned for the '94 Miata:
- 1.8 liter engine / 128 horsepower
- Alloy wheels redesigned and larger (14x6)
- Passenger side airbag
- Cross brace behind seats
- Bigger brakes (10 inch front disc & 9.9 inch rear disc)
- Redesigned dash
- Bigger gas tank (12.7 gal)
- Fully lined trunk
- Map pockets added to doors
- Seat fabric changed
- Raised lettering on engine cam cover
- Flash to pass
- Red lettering for rear Miata badge
- Seatbelt anchor located on seat
- C package door panel tops are black
- Torsen limited-slip differential (not availble on automatics or base
- The following items were discontinued for the '94 Miata:
- Arm rest mounted on doors
- Driver's side interior light
- Removeable door speaker covers
- Crystal White was changed in appearance and renamed simply "White".
- Mariner Blue discontinued (the total sold in the US is still being
- Mazda's R package was a $1,500 option package that became very
popular with the showroom stock racers. Mazda estimated that only 500 were
built for the '94 model year. Other options available for R package equiped Miatas
was a removeable hardtop and air conditioning.
- A factory racing stripe kit, designed by Mark Jordan, was availble
in white and pearl blue, and their use was encouraged for the
R package Miatas.
- The introduction of the M Edition was marketing genius on the part of
Mazda. They did not have to adhere to automotive industry definitions of
Limited Edition or Special Edition; they created their "own" edition which
became just as coveted by Miata enthusiasts. The polished alloy wheels, offered
on the '94 M Edition, were never again equipped on a US Miata from the factory.
- '94 Miatas have all the new changes such as wheels and dual airbags which
distinguish them from previous years. The easiest way to tell them apart from later
years is to look for the two-piece folding sunvisors that were changed in '95
to a one-piece version.